Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 - The Year my Mum died.

It might be a bit of a cliche to write a New Years Eve post reviewing the year but if I don't do my own year who will.

2010 began at Narooma like it had so many years in the past but may never happen again.  Raels didn't have a good time, not only was it a reminder of my past life for her but she had to spend a fair bit of time working and with work comes stress and she couldn't relax properly.

At the end of 2009 her two kids, young adults really, were living with us, my second son after being asked to leave the family home needed somewhere to live and my youngest daughter was with us every second weekend.   We have a small three bedroom house and had decided around Christmas time 2009 that we needed something bigger so on returning from holidays we spent every weekend looking for land and in late January put a deposit on a block of land in an estate called "The Avenue at Casey".

At that stage we had decided we needed a 5 bedroom house and had signed with Porter Davis.   By March though Meg and Damian had moved out so we started to prevaricate over whether or not we would continue with the build or not and come mid year we had decided to down size a little and build a 4 bedroom house with Carlisle homes.  Our land eventually settled at the end of November and our slab is due to go down on 20th January.

Work continued and responsibilities increased throughout the first part of the year but started to sour a little around July when a number of people were made redundant and there was a distinct lack of consultation with me about my role and that of the people who were in my team at the time.  So I came to the decision in October that it was time to move on.   And so found myself in a new position with a new slightly rocky role that is still yet to be played out.  The next few weeks will be interesting as decisions are made and I may well find it could be time to make an early move onto something else.  More of that elsewhere.

In around March Mum was put into hospital after bleeding from the bowel but after tests showed no sign of anything other than a possible infection she came home.

Hospitals were a regular visiting place with Erin having her fifth operation on her diaphragmatic hernia which I will never stop worrying about.

Mum returned to hospital in late August and after a short illness passed away on 11th September and that will be the defining point of this year for me.

So it was a year of hard work, of excitement about the new house and in particular the new neighbours who will become part of our life, a year of sadness and reflection.  And most of all a year of surprises, some welcome and some not.  But that is what life is about isn't it!

I wish all of you a Happy and Safe New Year. I look forward to hearing from you throughout 2011 and in following your progress whether on your own blog or on Facebook.   Thanks to everyone who gave me support during the year when I needed it most, particularly my lady and my family :)

14 comments:

Snowbrush said...

I assume that someone failed to diagnose your mother properly. For me, the fact that her death might have been preventable--or her life prolonged, at least--would have made her death harder.

I lost one of my two dogs this month, and as with other deaths (including both parents), I hate to see a new year arrive because it will be a year in which my dog didn't get to live. As long as it's still 2010, he seems closer to me in time because it was a year that we shared.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Glen said...

It's tough to have to suffer loss like that, but life goes forward none the less.

I wish you a thoroughly exciting and happy New Year

Cate said...

Blogs make great journals. And are great therapy. Well done for writing this post!
Hope 2011 has more highs than lows.
Great to meet you this year
xxxCate

Loz said...

Hi Snowbrush - nope we were told Mum was clear earlier in the year. What she had at the end was very aggressive and by the time it was diagnosed had already goten into her liver and kidneys. She chose, and we agreed, not to have any treatment. In her words she had a good life and was ready to go.

Loz said...

Thank you Glen - and yes time moves on and the pain of loss does ease. Happy New Year to you and yours as well.

Loz said...

Hi Cate this blog has very much been a cathartic and therapeutic process for me. The kind comments of those who care to read have seen me through some tough times. Thanks for following :)

Rajesh said...

Dear Loz,

Someone or the other is always moving out of our lives for a higher life. I lost my Grandmom as well. I hope 2011 will be good to you professionally and personally.

Happy living.

Loz said...

Thanks Raj - it will be

Zuzana said...

I am sorry about your loss and I am hoping that 2011 will be a lovely year for you in all possible aspects.
Thank you for your very kind visits and comments in 2010.
Happy New Year to you and yours,
xoxo

Elizabeth said...

I am sorry to hear of your loss and wish you a peaceful new year. I look forward to reading more of your blog and thank you for your kind comments on my own!

Stephanie said...

Oh, Loz, I'm so sorry to hear of your mom's passing. Life will never look, feel, smell...the same.

I understand how tenuous job situations can be. I wish for you that you find something that's a good fit for what you've envisioned for yourself.

The new house is very exciting! A new beginning, and a place to make new memories. xoxo

Loz said...

Hi Zuzana and thanks for your visits and comments too,

Loz said...

You're welcome Elizabeth - I'll keep checking in.

Loz said...

steph :) - 2010 has been a year of re-finding my old blog buddies, so thanks for coming back, both here and on your own blog. You were part of my first circle of blog friends and I appreciate your support over the years :)