Sunday, November 14, 2010

With great age comes...

I am about to start the third week of my new job.  This is a new start up company and we are building a new data centre in an inner city suburb, so at this stage we have a total of 17 people on board, mainly project managers and network architects.  My role, at least initially, is to commence the process towards achieving certification in a number of ISO standards - ISO 9001 Quality Management, ISO27001 Information Security Management, ISO 14001 Enviroment Mangement, ISO 20001 ICT Service Mangement, and ISO 30001 Risk Mangement, to name a few.  There are a few of those I have a fair bit of experience with and others I'll be learning but that's part of the fun and not really the purpose of this post.

I have just realised that for the first time in my life I am actually the oldest person in my work place and that scares me a bit. Not sure I'm ready to don the mantle of the wise old sage no matter how white my beard is.  To paraphrase Spiderman I am aware that with great age comes great responsibility and being a bit of a tosser I feel the weight of responsibility.  At least the Dad jokes are still getting laughs.

4 comments:

Bee said...

My husband has been looking for a new job, at age 49, and he's very aware of this "wise sage" thing that you describe. He has too much experience for some of the jobs; weird, huh?

Marja said...

I like age in relation to work as I am feeling more confident than ever.
I started a new job in the beginning of this year Teaching software programmes It runs out but I love teaching so much that I am replying for another alike job. Will have to learn heaps again but that's ok
I work with lots of younger people and often even don't notice it. I might not be wise enough yet

Loz said...

Hi Bee - I was talking to someone else just the other day who faced the same problem

Loz said...

Hi Marja - I actually love the fact that I can keep on learning. And only the most wise are unaware of their wisdom :)