Thursday, August 27, 2009

I don't get sick

At least that's true most of the time and it usually means that when I do I tend to fall in a heap.  I got through the entire first 13 months at my current job without taking any sick leave but on Monday night last week started to get a bit of a dry cough.   That night I went down hill and although I got up to go to work I ended up going back to bed.  Same thing Wednesday and come Thursday morning I decided I'd go to the doctors.

I was in the surgery for around a minute I reckon.  He held the stethscope to my chest in three places and asked me to cough, he stuck a depressor down my throat and then said.

"You are not well.  I feel you have a virus and you should go home and spend the next three days in bed.  If you are no better on Sunday, come back and ask for Dr Alex."

Come Sunday I was feeling better and Monday I went back to work only to find that I coughed and spluttered all day and lost my voice.  In the end the boss told me not to come in on Tuesday, so I didn't.   So what is the illness - I don't know, I have had the symptoms of swine flu, but the doctor never told me that was what it was.  All I know is that I was not myself.  Some might say it was man flu, but I can tell you I was genuinely incapable of working for the best part of a week.

No comments: