Sunday, June 21, 2009

Lost Job and swine flu

My youngest son messaged me today telling me he has lost his job. He rang his boss to find out where he was supposed to be working tomorrow and was told that there isn't enough work and that he is therefore sacked. No real explanation why it's him and not someone else although I think he has had a bit of time off lately with a virus and also having just been diagnosed with a hernia. He works as a scaffolder so maybe that is the real reason.

I told him that I will help in whatever way I can but truth is I feel pretty helpless. I have no work to give him. My lady has said that we will help financially [he has a car loan] but I haven't told him that yet. It's more important that he gets motivated to start looking for work immediately.

Lot's of people have been crook at work in the past few weeks, but although Melbourne is apparently the swine flu capital of the world only one person I know of has had that illness. There is the odd person seen walking through the city with a face mask on but for the most part people are just getting on with things.

I am still waiting to finalise my new contract only because the HR Manager has not had the time to deal with it. I will admit a little anxiety over not having it in place yet, but that's based on what happened to me last year, not because I think my position is in jeopardy.

I've had a few interesting exchanges of emails with a former employer and a few more facts about my sacking have fallen into place including the fact that there were three Board members wh pushed for my removal and not one of them ever said that they had any issues with my work performance. I was also told that some of the false information that they were telling people after I was sacked was a deliberate attempt to discredit me and they have come very close to finding themselves with a defamation case. I'll dig a bit more over the next few weeks simply because I beleive I am owed the truth.

6 comments:

Just a Girl said...

The economy and swine flu are both worldwide issues. Sad to hear your son was affected by it. The swine flu has been hyped up by the media. If you or yours catches that crud, just take some extra vitamin C and get some rest... and don't let anyone tell you that you need to take some newfangled drug or get a shot.

Recent blog post: another Top Headlines video

Val said...

I've been taking 1500 mg of Vit. C for 6 months now...hoping that if I DO get the flu, it will go easier on me. I'm sad to hear that jobs are scarce in Australia as well as the U.S. So many people are suffering and losing their homes here....such a sad state of affairs. I keep wondering what my father would say about all this if he were still alive, since he lived through the Great Depression. I wonder what sort of advice he would give over all this....he was such a smart man. But in the meantime, I wish you well and hope your son can find another job. Keep smilin'.

Chester Alan said...

Looking for Sex Partner in Davao City? Visit Here!

Guest said...

Seems we all have a task of making our own sunshine these days, one way or the other. Sending wishes of a truth excavation for you, and a good job for your son!

suzen said...

Seems like we all have the task of making our own sunshine these days. Best wishes for your continuing truth excavation and to your son for a good job!

Dorothy Stahlnecker said...

Some days I'm exhausted with getting throug life I really understand how you feel and hope your son is able to find a job. Things are pretty much the same here and I wonder how much longer things will look so gloomy.

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Recent blog post: Happy Fathers Day Dads