Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Less than 6 degrees of separation

The death toll now stands at 173 and reports now suggest that it may climb as high as 300. As the hours go on many people I know are telling tales of friends and or family who are missing. One of my nephews has a mate missing and that same mates brother confirmed dead. Other friends who we holiday with every year have not heard from friends for a few days.

So I think that most of the State may well be way less than 6 degrees of separation away from this personal tragedy.

It will be months whilst the police unravel the stories of each death. Firstly identifying the bodies will be an issue, then trying to piece together how people died will be a major exercise. And that is so necessary to provide some answers to the families left behind.

The generosity of people has been amazing. Everyone feels affected and everyone wants to try and contribute - clothes, groceries, money are all pouring in. For anyone who wants to donate you can do so on the Red Cross Website.

Wesfarmers have also announced that all profits from grocery sales in their Coles supermarkets this Friday will go to the appeal, so if you can hold off shopping until then, do so.

***************************************************
And from the best of human nature and generosity of spirit we come across this media release from Catch the Fire Ministries where a so called Man of God claims that God visited the fires on Victoria because of new abortion laws.

This straight from that offensive media release -

CTFM leader, Pastor Danny Nalliah said he would spearhead an effort to provide every assistance to devastated communities, although he was not surprised by the bush fires due to a dream he had last October relating to consequences of the abortion laws passed in Victoria.

He said these bushfires have come as a result of the incendiary abortion laws which decimate life in the womb.

My God is one of compassion and not this sort of vengeance. I thought long and hard about whether I should promote this sort of tripe but it is offensive and does not belong in my country. How dare these people try and point score from this tragedy.

14 comments:

Dorothy said...

I've seem some of the devastation on Television and it's awful I hadn't seen it until yesterday. I'll be praying for and the whole country.

If you want to post anything on my site to make others aware of more detail from your point of view Loz let me know..

My email is still the same dorothy@grammology.com

Best to you and all...

Hope said...

I am still stunned by the devastation your country is dealing with. So sorry Loz. So very sorry.

Romany Angel said...

I have donated money to the Red Cross and as soon as I am deemed well enough I intend to donate as much blood as they want to take from me for the burns victims. We can all do our bit even if it only seems like a small thing.

As for this so called Man of God, well let's just say it's probably best I don't say what I think about that.

pamokc said...

Yes, everyone will know someone affected, it is such a large number of people who died, let alone who was injured. And who lost property. And the stress of it all will cause more trauma as time goes by...

I'm glad to know that crazy preachers aren't just in our part of the world. We have the crazy group that comes and pickets the funerals of the soldiers saying they died because God hates homosexuals.

Keep us posted on the recovery efforts!

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

I'm so sorry for you.....sorry for you and your beautiful continent. To think that some of this was purposely started enrages me. What is happening on our earth that men/women set fires to watch them burn all the while jeapordizing the lives of innocent people.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your country. God bless you.

Steady On
Reggie Girl

Loz said...

Dorothy - thank you for caring once again.

Hope - and for all that, what this does is makes the rest of us remember what we are grateful for

Loz said...

Gypsy - My workplace has kicked off an appeal with a substantial donation and has pledged to match dollar for dollar everything we employees put in as well.

And as far as Man of God goes - may he never be faced with the fear and horror that so many have these past few days.

Loz said...

Pam - Fortunately these lunatics are in a very small minority.

Loz said...

Reggie Girl - thank you for the visit, and I don't understand that either.

Blur Ting said...

It's so saddening to read about the lives lost and destruction to one of the most beautiful places in Australia and more shocking to find that it is the work of arsonist.

Peter (Worldman): said...

Australia is far away from us. But TV brings everything close. Yesterday I saw your Prime Minister making a statement and saying that not only the whole nation is supporting the people going through this ordeal, but the whole world. And he is right. The more so as the TV channels, this time, are not out for "sensationalism" but simply show the cold, horrible facts.

Loz said...

Blur - it will be some time before we know for sure which fires were deliberately lit, certainly it appears that at least one, which did claim lives, was.

Loz said...

Peter - the world is smaller and any natural disaster now makes us think "There but for the grace of God..."

Shinade said...

My husband and i were just speaking of what you all must be going though over there last night when we were sitting out the tornadoes.

Of course what we got hit with doesn't even begin to compare with the devastation you guys have been hit with.

Please just know that you and all of your mates are in my thoughts and prayers!

Every time I see another picture or read another story about this fire it seems so unbelievable.

What a tragedy and such a great loss of life and nature.

I read or heard somewhere last night that this was due to arson. Is that true? Oh dear how could anyone live with themselves knowing they caused this much heart ache?

Keeping you in my thoughts at all times!!

Hugs,
Jackie:-)