Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I don't get....gender discrimination complaints

Let me start by saying that I subscribe to the Groucho Marx theory of club membership -

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member!"

Our Chief Commissioner of police here in Victoria has been in the news for the last couple of days because she was upset that the Atheneum Club in Melbourne apparently refused her membership. Now I would never be invited to be a member there for a number of reasons including that I didn't go to a private school, I don't earn enough money and I am neither a member of the new or old establishment of Melbourne. Christine was upset because they wouldn't accept her because she is a woman.

I will say that she isn't making much of a song and dance about it, but she did say on radio this morning that many of the male members had daughters who one day may wish to become members in their own right.

Funny that a men's only club won't accept women isn't it. Fernwood gym's won't accept men, we don't get upset about that we go and join another gym, or we set up our own club. So if a woman applies for a men's only club and gets rejected why get upset about it. I don't get it.

5 comments:

Andrew said...

I don't know much about the Atheneum Club.

There was an underground Atheneum restaurant at the corner of Collins and Elizabeth. We went once. There was also an Atheneum private library and women were most welcome there, in fact they were the mainstay of it.

I will give my support to Ms Nixon. She was invited and then uninvited. Pretty shabby on the part of the Atheneum.

Sole sex clubs, another matter I think and unsurprisingly, I have an opinion on them. I'll save that for now.

Linda and her Surroundings said...

If guys want to hang out in their own space away from women, what is wrong with that? And vice versa.

I am like you though, I don't like clubs. Never felt the urge to join one either.

Finn said...

In theory, I would agree that it shouldn't be a big deal about men-only or women-only clubs.

The problem is that traditionally those men-only clubs were where a lot of business was done, a lot of networking. Not having the opportunity to belong left the women out of the boys club and thus high and dry professionally.

Whether that's still the case today I don't know (but I suspect it is).

They invited her then recinded the invitation? Tacky, tacky!

meleah rebeccah said...

well, I think she is wrong. its an ALL GUYS club....why doesn't she start and ALL WOMANS club? WTF

HollyGL said...

I was actually going to say what Finn said about it being more about women being excluded from the "boys club" mentality in business. I think that's where the root of that particular matter lies.

Trust me, generally speaking, most women would prefer not to be engulfed in a room filled with testosterone any more than men would one filled with estrogen! :)