Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year

...to everyone who drops by.

It's 4pm New Years Day here and hot. It got to 42C yesterday so we decided to escape the heat by catching yet another movie - this time the Darjeeling Ltd. quirky, odd and enjoyable. It was then a quiet night at home. I have to admit that I have never enjoyed New Years Eve, maybe that's one of the costs of being a non-drinker because sitting around watching people get full is not my idea of fun. Maybe I'll write some more of that later after it cools down a bit.

At 3am this morning it was still over 30C and only dropped to around 28.5C at around 5 am. We're expecting a cool change through soon and it can't come soon enough for me.

I know I still have more Tasmanian trip photos to post but I thought I'd give people a look at some of the country and beaches near my home town mainly becuase we tend to forget how lucky we are with our own backyard at times. The photos' in the slide show below are of part of the Mornington Peninsula within an hour of home for me - you'll see Flinders Pier, Cape Schanck National Park and Point Nepean.

Point Nepean is the easternmost part of the Port Phillip Bay Heads. In the 1860's it became a military base and the first Allied shot of World War 1 was fired from one of the gun emplacements on the base at a German Merchant Vessel about to leave the Bay. Much of the point is still off limits to the public becuase the army and navy used it as a firing range for years and there are still unexploded bombs lying around in the dunes. But it's a fascinating place to visit in easy reach of Melbourne for people interested in a bit of history.

15 comments:

JYankee said...

Happy New Year! You certainly take beautiful photos!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Laurie.

I wish you a new year of further unfoldment, new experiences and wonderful times. I look forward to reading the continuance of your journey.
Hey, I was at the pics at Knox with my daughter yesterday. And geez, it sure was hot. Hooray for the cool change. Couldn't agree more with you.
Take care.

Jen xxx

Jod{i} said...

ooooooo, nice pics!
Happy Happy New Year Loz! May you see, embrace and engage in all the beauty, happiness and peace in the coming year!

Blur Ting said...

Happy New Year Loz! I think your year is already starting to get better judging from what I've read in the last few posts. It'll get better and better over time.

HollyGL said...

What striking pics! ...and how beautiful is that landscape!! How much is a ticket to Australia running these days? ;)

Happy New Year, Loz! May 2008 bring you that which you would treasure most.

Rhea said...

Happy New Year to you! I wish we had your weather up here in snowy Boston, Massachusetts.

Finn said...

Beautiful pictures... must have been a lovely trip.

Happy New Year to you darling. I hope this next one brings you much happiness and hope. xo

paisley said...

happy new year loz..... may this be the one!!!!!

Dave J. said...

Happy New Year Loz, stay the course brother, life has a way of working out just as it should. All things happen for a reason, and even when we find ourselves in strange places in our lives, there is opportunity. Have an excellent day.

Dorothy said...

Loz, Your photos are great. My husband who is an ultra marathon cyclist, has bicycled Australia Melbourne to Sydney over the snowy mountain range.. Is bringing me to your part of the world after my recovery from surgery.... Let's hope it's speedy...we have to make sure we plan so we can meet and have coffee or drinks....

Keep the photos coming..

Dorothy from grammology
remember to call gram
http://grammology.com

HappyStill said...

Happy New Year to you and all the people you love.
I am very jealous..it's the middle of the night here.It's cold, dark and, as with all good Irish winters, damp.
But, on the positive side, it's 2008and everyone tells me it's going to be a good one!

Catherine said...

Happy New Years!! I hope that the upcoming year is wonderful for you because you certainly deserve it. :)

Pen and the Sword said...

I loved the pics... just beautiful. I wish you the best 2008 has to offer! I have a hunch that this will be a good year ;o)

meleah rebeccah said...

Happy New Year! xxoo :)

Gypsy said...

Happy New Year Loz. Sorry I'm a bit late but I hope all your wishes and dreams come true in 2008 and that your new life brings you all the happiness you richly deserve. All I really want is for the temperature to drop by about 20 degrees....that would make me very happy.

PS Really enjoyed the slideshow, they were great pics.