Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Lines are Blurring

My question is do I keep this blog going. It was my first although it began with a bit of a flurry in 2004 but was then ignored for a number of years. This was meant to be a blog that was more of a daily journal than a commentary on how I felt about things, one of my other blogs Midlife had that role.

It wasn't all that long ago that the counter on this blog clicked over 750 visits at the same time Midlife clicked to 666. Two milestone numbers that stuck in my mind. As I sit here now this blog has clicked to 3950 but the other is now sitting on 9972 and probably by the time I awaken in the morning it will have hit 10,000.

And the lines I had drawn between the two have blurred. I am now no longer quite so clear in my own mind as to why I should continue with two separate blogs. My midlife journey has become by turns reflective, contemplative and self critical. It has a number of regular visitors and commentators who have come to share and offer advice and who I now number among my friends. I won't delete this blog but I wonder if it still serves the same purpose it once did and whether in particular there is any further need for separateness. Midlife was originally somewhere I would write things that I didn't think people who knew me would read or want to read. It has become obvious over the past couple of months that quite a few of you who do read both these blogs do also know me personally and if the truth be told, probably know me far better now having read what I write, than you ever did before.

I have been contemplating a move to wordpress with my own domain name as some of my fellow bloggers have done and one advantage of that is that I can merge both of these blogs into one.

I do also have a third blog which sees relatively fewer entries per month but is specifically related to my photography [Visions of Oz if you haven't seen it]. I've not yet decided if I should merge that one as well if I do go down the wordpress path.

Any advice or comments are welcomed.

8 comments:

Finn said...

Keep the picture blog and keep your other blog. Post what you'd post here there. If you try to keep too many balls in the air, you're bound to drop one.

Loz said...

I think you're right Finn, fewer people are coming here anyway.

skipper said...

Loz; Most of us are using some type of blog reader - so I really don't come here unless I see you have posted. I think you can get away with two blogs as well...

Gypsy said...

I closed down my other blog because I felt it was no longer serving its original purpose. If the lines between this blog and Midlife are now blurred I think merging the two is a great idea. It relieves the pressure of feeling like you "must" post something in both or your readership will start dropping off.

For what its worth Loz, I enjoy both of them and will now have to checkout your photography one :)

Josie Two Shoes said...

I agree with you Loz, this blog now seems to be almost like an afterthought on the Midlife blog. The lines defining what I will find on each have blurred some. For me, it would just be easier to read it all on one blog - Blogger, Wordpress, or whatever. If you also want to integrate the photo blog, that's up to you!

HollyGL said...

Do whatever you feel most satisfies you, Loz. I love what you write no matter where it is.

Incidentally, I tried to open Midlife again, and the error message came up again and I was kicked out. It said, "Internet Explorer cannot open "Midlife...".

Anyway, I support whatever you decide, Loz. Just as long as you keep writing somewhere. :)

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

I hope you keep your blogs. You do a wonderful job with them.

Kim said...

sounds like a good idea with the merging on wordpress Loz...something I would like to do too......good luck if you do....