Thursday, July 12, 2007

Letter to Amanda 1981

As most of you know my niece Amanda had a bit of a crack at me last week. By coincidence I was re-reading some of my old journals last night [I know, I need to get a real life] and I came across this letter I wrote to her on the occasion of her Christening.

From Journal 1 - 21 July 1981

I wrote this on Amanda’s Christening card some time ago –

I suppose on the occasion of a Christening it is pertinent to offer some sort of advice to the Christenee; even if he or she probably won’t be able to understand it for another fifteen to twenty years.

Firstly always listen to the advice of others. This does not imply blind acceptance but rather a careful consideration of all points of view before you make up your own mind.

Secondly, remember that wisdom is measured in experience and not merely in years. I have known children with a clearer view of the world than many adults whose years have clouded their views with bigotry, hatred and bitterness. Remember therefore, that wisdom can be found in places where it is least expected.

Thirdly, believe in wilderness for it is the only sure escape from the regimentation of day to day activity. The knowledge that wilderness exists provides a possible escape from the rule of the clock. Anyone who has seen an ocean sunset or felt the cold sting of a mountain wind on a winter morn will know what I mean.

Finally be not afraid to dream.

8 comments:

Josie Two Shoes said...

This is a wonderful piece to be shared with someone of any age, Loz. Full of much wisdom and written beautifully! Must seem strange to remember her innocence at christening.

HollyGL said...

Beautiful, Loz.

I hope she reads this post.

Loz said...

Josie - I have a photo of her in the front yard of her house with her finger up her nose and I still see the echo of the child in the woman these days.

Steph - I hope she does too and I wondered if she still has the card somewhere.

Josie Two Shoes said...

LOL, Loz, from the tone of her email to you, I think she still enjoys sticking that finger in the air a bit! :-)

awannabe said...

That's beautiful. Its awesome that you kept it. I'm adding your link to my site too.

paisley said...

this is so touching... i hope your amanda can read these words as the woman she has become,, and understand the love they were spoken with...

that kind of love that had not yet been earned,,, and still you gave it freely... that my dear man,, is what an uncle is... not a term of respect.... but love....

two very different things,, and one is not contingent on the other when given the right place in the heart.....

Loz said...

Hi Josie - she was always embarassed about that photo and I did think of posting it here but thought better of it :)

Loz said...

Thankyou Awannabe - i am working my way through your book and I hope that, like me, writing it is helping.