Friday, July 13, 2007

Lawncutter – from Journal 1 04-11-1984

“Everyone must leave something behind when he dies”, my grandfather said. “A child or a book or a painting or a house or a wall built or a pair of shoes made. Or a garden planted. Something your hand touched some way, so your soul has somewhere to go when you die, and when people look at that tree or that flower you planted, you’re there. It doesn’t matter what you do”, he said, “ as long as you change something from the way before you touched it, into something that’s like you after you take your hands away. The difference between the man who just cuts lawns and a real gardener is in the touching,” he said. “The lawn cutter might just as well not have been there at all; the gardener will be there for a lifetime.”
- Granger to Montag; Fahrenheit 451 – Ray Bradbury 1954, p.152-153

7 comments:

"Wolfgang" said...

I love this, Loz. It gives me comfort. I feel that I have touched many lives in my 14 years as a teacher and left a tiny imprint of my soul in so many other lives.

Thanks for posting this.

Loz said...

Reading what you have written Wolfgang I know you have been a dedicated teacher and I am sure have made a difference in the lives of a lot of people.

You're welcome.

Epimenides said...

Very nice post indeed loz! That's the rason , I guess, why I really want to make a family! I want to leave behind me a legacy of love, since objects tend to be lost, destroyed or forgotten about!

Josie Two Shoes said...

Beautiful thought, Loz! Read my post, "What Will Matter" from May 18th. It talks about the same thing.

Loz said...

Epi - good things will come for you.

Josie - I did read it and comment, thanks for pointing me there :)

paisley said...

it is for precisely that reason that i pour myself out into my blog... it may very well be the only real thing i leave behind.....

Loz said...

Paisley you will also leave behind a lot of friends so let's hope that is decades away