Saturday, June 16, 2007

Into the Spotlight

I have been tagged by Beth from "My Life Starts at Forty-two" with a meme called "Into the Spotlight". The meme was commenced by Christy at "Christy's Coffee Break" and the rules for the meme can be found here. There are a series of Questions which you may choose to answer.

When did you start blogging?
This blog began a couple of months ago as a result of realising that I was struggling with many aspects of midlife and having failed to write I was not able to examine how I was really feeling. I have been keeping a journal since 1976 so this was a natural extension to that. My second blog Sunrays and Saturdays began when my father died in 2004 with a bit of a flurry but then was ignored until March this year. A third one, Visions of Oz, just shows some of my photographs.

What do you hope to accomplish with your blog?
I have no aims really. It is a place to write, purely and simply. I am certainly not in it for the money.

What are your feelings on the "blog popularity" issue?
I'm not 100% sure what the question means. Sure, like most, I enjoy the interaction with other people that blogging has brought to me. I love it when people respond and take the time to comment. And I have counters on the blogs which shows a degree of egotism.

What's your favorite childhood memory?
Christmases

Are you a spiritual person?
I regard myself as an agnostic and until recently a totally rational man. But there have been things that have occured over the past year in particular that are forcing me to rethink some of this and I guess I've just found another blog topic :)

Do your moral values affect the way that you blog, and if yes, how?
Morality is an interesting topic on it's own and I have scratched the surface of it in a few posts. Read some of these if you wish -
Of Guilt and Other Just Desserts
Black Magic
So Which Voice do you Listen to?
Is there such a thing as a Virtuous Lie?
The short answer is yes. The real question though is how hypocritical one can be if you self-righteously regard yourself as a moral person whilst lying and covering up what has gone before. For me blogging is very much about a critical examination of the person I used to be, who I have become, and whom I may one day be.

What is your best quality?
I think I've been a good father, although some may dispute that.

What is your worst quality?

I run from conflict and withdraw within rather than confront things and sort them out. I am getting better at it but I have spent a long time not just turning the other cheek, but retreating to my bedroom in a foetal position with the blankets pulled up over my head. That little boy still runs scared a lot of the time, and the grownup struggles to calm the voices sometimes.

So may I now pass this meme forward to some of those who have given me some pleasure in what they write, who have given me their time in reading what I write and whose answers to these questions will be worth reading - Random, Holly, Jeff, Finn and Micki.

Paisley, you are number six, not because I think you need any blog fodder, and I know you don't like passing memes on, but maybe answering some of this will take some of the focus off your visitor. :)

No pressure folks, just do it if you feel like it.

7 comments:

Finn said...

Interesting the reasons that we begin blogging. And more interesting how that begins to change after we've been doing it for a bit.

Thanks for the peek into you!

Loz said...

Hi Finn
Consider yourself tagged too friend Finn. But only if you wish to :)

paisley said...

thanks loz... i will ponder on it and see what i can come up with....

and i do need fodder,, as i have no solitude in which to really think anything else thru... so this is perfect for me!!!!

Loz said...

I'm glad Paisley - I can give plenty more if you wish - how bout a tag team interview - you ask a question of some of your regulars - we answer and ask one back?

Christy said...

Great answers, thank you for participating in this meme, I appreciate it! :)

Loz said...

Hi Christy
And thankyou for the link swap

Jeff said...

Thanks for the tag. I will get to it . . . eventually. :grin: