Sunday, June 17, 2007

Gay - not that there's anything wrong with that!

From Dictionary.com

GAY
1. having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.
2.bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments.
3.given to or abounding in social or other pleasures: a gay social season.
4.licentious; dissipated; wanton: The baron is a gay old rogue with an eye for the ladies.
5.homosexual.
6.of, indicating, or supporting homosexual interests or issues: a gay organization.
–noun
7.a homosexual person, esp. a male.
–adverb
8.in a gay manner.

[Origin: 1275–1325; 1950–55 for def. 5; ME gai <>gāhi fast, sudden]

gayness, noun

1. gleeful, jovial, glad, joyous, happy, cheerful, sprightly, blithe, airy, light-hearted; vivacious, frolicsome, sportive, hilarious. Gay, jolly, joyful, merry describe a happy or light-hearted mood. Gay suggests a lightness of heart or liveliness of mood that is openly manifested: when hearts were young and gay. Jolly indicates a good-humored, natural, expansive gaiety of mood or disposition: a jolly crowd at a party. Joyful suggests gladness, happiness, rejoicing: joyful over the good news. Merry is often interchangeable with gay: a merry disposition; a merry party; it suggests, even more than the latter, convivial animated enjoyment. 2. brilliant.

**********************************************
So why post that? Couple of reasons really. Firstly, someone said to me recently that a person had read my blogs and thought that they were "so gay". And I don't think they meant "gleeful, jovial, glad..." etc. So I looked back over what I'd posted and how it was written and I have absolutely no idea where that comment could have come from.

Anyway for the record I am not gay - never have been, never have any inkling that I will one day be - "not that there's anything wrong with that". Nor am I particularly merry, bright, showy, licentious nor wanton. So in no real manner according to the dictionary definition could I really have a gay tag associated with me.

I do have some gay friends and one young lady friend who I was talking to the other day decided to come out to me. That was a pretty brave thing to do, even though I already knew. We got talking about how hard it was for her to do that to her parents and unfortunately they didn't take it well. For several years, she was not welcome at their house, did not see anyone on Christmas or for birthdays. It's only recently that her mother has started to come around and after this young lady had a major health scare, her father is now at least talking to her.

I guess people can become estranged from their families for all sorts of reasons. Most often though it appears that it can be something that may, when examined critically through clear eyes, not really be that big a deal. Nothing is worth holding a grudge over, or making someones life miserable simply because you don't agree with a lifestyle choice.

It really does seem so petty at times. My mother didn't speak to her sister for the last few years of her life because she'd offered an opinion on her niece that my aunt didn't appreciate. It was sheer pigheadedness that meant the issue will always remain unresolved. I dearly hope that it doesn't carry over into whatever next life there may be.

And this has turned into one of those rambling posts that begins one way, goes off on a tangent and never returns to the original point so I'll finish here before it gets even more muddied and lost.

3 comments:

Rhea said...

I think it's a nice compliment, that your blog posts are 'so gay'. That's why I like 'em!

Loz said...

Thanks Rhea. Is it because this is very much about feelings and blokes aren't supposed to talk about them?

Rhea said...

Yup!