Tuesday, June 12, 2007

For Sale Friend...

Jeff has previously written a post on friendship that is also worth visiting and once more has prompted some thoughts of my own.

My mate Fog [sort of Geoff spelt backwards] sadly passed away of a stroke at the age of 39, ten years ago last month. Fog would spend every Sunday night with me at my parents house watching the Sunday night movie and for the most part that was good. But there were times when I cringed on hearing the knock on the door because I really couldn't be bothered seeing anyone. It didn't matter to him, in he'd come, make himself comfortable and we'd often sit in companionable silence, watching whatever happened to be on that night, and often the choices weren't great because it was pre pay-TV.

Fog and I became mates during high school and enjoyed a few bushwalks together, as well as a lot of country drives and nights out with other school buddies, and shared a passion for photography. He made a decision early on in life that he never wanted to have children. He stated this was because he had bad eyesight [coke bottle glasses] and a very bad back that was better off out of the genetic pool.

He was a groomsman at my wedding but after that, when my own children came along, we began to lose touch. We moved in different circles and our life experiences changed. Just like Jeff says in his post though, we were always mates, and like mates do, when we did get together we reminisced about old times, and laughed about the stupid things that happened.

So perhaps, that constant contact is not a necessary prerequisite of lasting friendship. Maybe it is the simple fact that you share life experience that means once a friend always a friend.

3 comments:

Jeff said...

Excellent. Friendship where lives cross each other and blend and not repel. A moment or moments captured in time for all eternity. There is something there that will always be there unless one or both parties do something to destroy it - and even then . . .

I'm sorry for your loss, Loz.

paisley said...

i dont currently know anyone i have known my whole life... accept my family... sometimes i wish i had at least one contact from the past.... i envy you loz to have had such a friend....

Loz said...

Thankyou Jeff.

Paisley, I am lucky that the friends I do have reach way back to times that were simpler and less painful in many ways. And for them I am grateful.