Saturday, May 19, 2007

Little Bit Selfish

I have finally realised that I cannot live my life for other people. That there comes a time when you actually have to put what you consider to be the right thing for yourself ahead of anything you may consider is the right thing for someone else. That may inevitably mean some hurt for some people.

But you cannot change other people, you only have the power to change yourself. And in recognising that you can also start to be that little bit selfish. I feel that I have lived according to what I thought was right for others, and as a consequence have worn the masks I've worn, and kept closed the doors I've closed, until I didn't even know what was right for me.

Time to be selfish for a while.

4 comments:

paisley said...

the only person that you can change is you... and i know that if anyone can be happy it is you , laurie,, you have so much to offer... not only someone else,,, but yourself as well......

Beth said...

Great observation Loz - when I started to be the person I wanted to be, it was amazing how many things turned around for me...

wornoutwoman said...

Amen to that!

Micki said...

I made the same declaration about a year ago, and I'm still really trying to do it. It's not easy when you have spent a lifetime putting the happiness of others above your own.