Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Bad Jokes - good father?

Had a visit to my Counsellor this morning who had permission from my daughter to tell me a few things. She had been asked to say what she likes about me, what she doesn't like about me and what she would like from me.

The first thing she said was that she likes my corny jokes - lame as they, are they make her laugh. She couldn't really think of something she didn't like, but she did wish that I would ask her around for dinner occasionally. Which I will of course do, but which I had also tried doing on a few occasions only to have her back out because she had better things to do. I will attempt to make it a regular once a week thing to do with both my daughters and maybe son number two [son number one lives interstate at the moment].

She also commented on how overwhelmed she was that I had admitted to her that I find it hard to express my feelings verbally. I didn't think saying that was a real big deal, but it obviously was to her and that makes me glad that I did raise it with her. So I can see a way forward with her, now I just have to work out how to deal with the thirteen year old.

7 comments:

haze said...

You can do it!Goodluck!

paisley said...

i was about thirteen when the light went on in my head,,, that my parents weren't gods,, before that i never questioned whether or not what they said was right or wrong or indifferent...i just did it....

maybe it never entered her mind that you had, let alone acknowledged,, any inadequacies...maybe you are becoming "a human" to her....

Finn said...

Sounds like a good beginning. Good luck!

Lisa said...

I think 13 is probably the most difficult age to be, especially for a girl. I remember thinking that my dad was equally the biggest hero and the nerdiest dork. Keep up a good communication with her, and remember that even though (most importantly) you are her father, you can also try to be her friend. Have fun!

Suray said...

You just need to pray to the God. May the successful things always on your pathway. Good luck!

suray,
http://surayblog.blogspot.com

Beth said...

sometimes the most important thing you can do for you and your daughter is be yourself - and is seems to be working - congratulations..

Jeff said...

A lot of time, teenagers feel comforted when they find some vulnerability in their parents - especially girls. Oh, btw - I have no kids - especially girls, so maybe I am wrong. ;)

Jeff (psychosomaticwit.blogspot.com)