Monday, May 21, 2007

8 Random Things You Don't Know About Me.

Beth has tagged me to list some random facts that you don't know about me. Just so those I tag know the rules here they are.

1. Each player starts with 8 random facts/habits about themselves.
2. People who are tagged write a blog post about their own 8 random things and post these rules.
3. At the end of your blog you need to tag 8 people and post their names. (I only picked 3)
4. Don’t forget to leave them a comment and tell them they’re tagged and to read your blog.

Now about me.

1. I am a qualified palynologist [and I like big words that no one else has ever heard of].

2. A Quarter of a century ago I wrote a thesis on Climate Change in the Victorian Alps.

3. I am of predominantly Irish descent [including four Irish convict great-great-grandparents] with the rest being a mixture of English, Scottish and Australian Aboriginal.

4. I was a policeman for 16 years resigning with the rank of Sergeant.

5. Whilst in the police force I worked as both a hostage negotiator and a counter-terrorist intelligence analyst.

6. I am a two-time Basketball Victoria Administrator of the Year.

7. Four of the best days of my life were those my children were born.

8. I love the smell of petrichor.

I know I'm supposed to pass this on but I'll amend the post a little later when I check to see if any of my regular readers have already done it or not.

6 comments:

davinci143 said...

Hello Loz:

I would have thought that I had a reasonably sophisticated vocabulary, but your post forced me to look up two words!

My goal today is to use either "palynologist" or "petrichor" in a sentence today!

Have fun out there.

Dan

paisley said...

me too laurie... i had to look both of them up... what on earth did you study spores and pollen for????

i too love the smell of rain soaked earth,,, even if i don't know if we have the specific type of soil/plant oil that best produces it like you do in oz....

i am half irish and half italian... i've always joked... "don't get me drunk or mad... and never at the same time!!!!!!"

Loz said...

It seemed like a good idea at the time Paisley :) But then reality hit when I found out that there weren't a lot of job opportunities for people studying fossil pollen and so I joined the police force.

Did you hear about the 2 Scotsmen, 2 Welshmen, 2 Irishmen and 2 Englishmen who got shipwrecked. A year later the 2 Scots had built a whiskey distillery, the welshmen had formed a choir, the Irishmen were still fighting on the beach and the 2 Englihmen were waiting for a formal introduction.

Beth said...

I am so impressed Loz - as with your other two posters I had to look up words in your post. You are truly a man among men...

Loz said...

Now that did give me a belly laugh Beth. I don't expect many people will ever find the need to use the word palynologist in conversation but I hope that the next time that marvellous smell is scented that you may remember it is called petrichor :)

Keston said...

Is anyone out there? Not sure where this is going to? Is it you L?